Re: Sound problems in 2.1.99 (Was: Sound in 2.1.9x/X)

Vadim E. Kogan (vadim@vadim.gem.net)
Sat, 02 May 1998 22:53:48 -0700

Gerhard Mack wrote:

> On Fri, 1 May 1998, Vadim E. Kogan wrote:
>
> > I noticed weird problem:
> > some activitie in X result in a short timeouts in playing MP3.
> > For example each new line that comes from server in BitchX in xterm,
> > scrolling in netscape, etc. But editing some file, other activities do
> > nothing.
> > I don't remember when that started, but my guess would be that it's
> > because of
> > kernel (2.1.9x) or AccelX (Multihead). If any1 had this kind of problems
> > - tell me plz.
>
> It seems to be cpu related, if you really want make the mp3s do that, try
> recompiling a kernel with an mp3 going. Or using some effects in gimp.

on dual-ppro233???
ok, here're some experiments (x11amp playing all the time):
a) make bzImage - timeouts
b) make bzImage >& log - everything Ok
c) make -j bzImage >& log - hard lock in a few seconds
I usually do make -j - works Ok (w/o x11amp :)

Another problem is MTRR related:
Config:
dual-PPro (SMP kernel)
S3,23: 86C765 (1024k @80000000)
MATROX,21: 2064W,TVP3026 (8192k @f6000000)
AccelX 4.1 Multihead
Problem:
If I do

echo "base=0x80000000 size=0x100000 type=write-combining" > /proc/mtrr

or

echo "base=0xf6000000 size=0x800000 type=write-combining" > /proc/mtrr

or both, and I hit play in x11amp it'll hard lock comp. Not always
immidiatly, but when I move mouse to another monitor and get into some
window, fvwm will make it active (redraw the frame at least) and at that
moment comp is dead.

Nice?