Re: 2.1.99 is less rusty

Rik van Riel (H.H.vanRiel@phys.uu.nl)
Sat, 2 May 1998 10:46:52 +0200 (MET DST)

On Sat, 2 May 1998, Bill Metzenthen wrote:

> around the 'mount' problem and ran my test script. I can report that
> the 2.1.99 kernel appears to be significantly better than other recent
> kernels in the 2.1.xx series, although it is still much worse than
> 2.0.33 in the rusting department...

Good to hear that. It can be better though, I'll provide full
sysctl tuneability for kswapd/free_memory_available() RSN.

> To summarise the results so far:
> kernel approx rusting effect
> 2.0.33 38 --> 30 (improves!)
> 2.1.96 37 --> 263
> 2.1.98 43 --> 284
> 2.1.99 36 --> 100

Have you traced where the rusting comes from? Some
kernel statistics (eg. in /proc/sys/kernel/*) can
be of great help too.
(if possible complete with calculations on how much
memory everything takes)

Rik.