Re: 2.1.99-pre3 on SMP with Adaptec and TekRam SCSI controllers

Fabricio Chalub (fchalub@bigfoot.com)
Thu, 30 Apr 1998 15:52:54 -0300

The SMP-FAQ says that Adaptec drivers are broken under SMP-enabled
kernels... My personal experience was that using a SMP system with a
Adapect SCSI onboard was SO frustrating that we chose to use a IDE HD
instead.

Check the FAQ at http://www.irisa.fr/prive/dmentre/smp-faq/

[]s fabricio
-----Original Message-----
From: Michael Meissner <meissner@cygnus.com>
To: linux-smp@vger.rutgers.edu <linux-smp@vger.rutgers.edu>;
torvalds@transmeta.com <torvalds@transmeta.com>
Date: Quinta-feira, 30 de Abril de 1998 13:50
Subject: 2.1.99-pre3 on SMP with Adaptec and TekRam SCSI controllers

:I just tried 2.1.99-pre3 on my Dell GXpro which has dual pentium pro
200Mhz,
:128 meg of memory, Adaptec 2940UW SCSI controller (2 Barracuda disks, 1 DAT
:tape drive, and 1 CDROM), and TekRam 390F SCSI controller which uses the
:Symbios 53c875 chip (1 Barracuda disk).
:
:If I compile 2.1.99-pre3 with SMP=1 defined in the Makefile, it hangs after
the
:last Adaptec device (the CDROM) has been printed and just before the
Symbios
:disk is printed. If I rebuild the kernel without SMP=1 being defined for a
:single processor, it works just fine.
:
:--
:Michael Meissner, Cygnus Solutions (Massachusetts office)
:4th floor, 955 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge, MA 02139, USA
:meissner@cygnus.com, 617-354-5416 (office), 617-354-7161 (fax)
:
:
: