Re: IDE/SMP Bug [was: Linux-2.1.98..]

Adam D. Bradley (artdodge@cs.bu.edu)
Mon, 27 Apr 1998 13:16:05 -0400 (EDT)

> On Thu, Apr 23, 1998 at 11:30:18PM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> >
> > I just released a fairly small patch to 97 to bring it up to 98.
> [...]
> > Anyway, 2.1.98 _should_ fix:
> > - the IDE/SCSI lockups. The irq enable/disable code was broken, and could
> > do some really bad things. This tended to lock up the machine if you
> > accessed your IDE disks heavily, or in particular if you had a mixture
> > of IDE and SCSI and used them at the same time. Tell me if you still
> > have problems - I'm sure there are still bugs left, and I want to hear
> > about them.
>

> Unfortunatly there are still some SMP/IDE[1] related bugs in 2.1.98. I still
> got read errors on the IDE disks[2] and a corupted filesystem after some
> heavy disk activities (make -j in /usr/src/linux). But it dosn't look
> the whole system like 2.1.8x-2.1.97.
>
> [1] I have a GigaByte-Dual Pentium Board. If someone want's more
> information, pleas ask via email.

If this is a GA586DX, then welcome to the club. IDE (under heavy
load) has been unreliable since 2.1.85 (When IO-APIC went in full
force). Write to Gigabyte's tech support
(www.giga-byte.com/feedback.html), give them as much detail as is
appropriate (which errors are displayed leading up to
failure/curruption, other installed hardware, clock rates, etc) and
ask them if they've familiar with the problem.

Adam

--
You crucify all honesty             \\Adam D. Bradley  artdodge@cs.bu.edu
No signs you see do you believe      \\Boston University Computer Science