(PLEASE READ THIS) Re: weird 3c590 problems

David S. Miller (davem@dm.cobaltmicro.com)
Sun, 26 Apr 1998 19:58:21 -0700

Date: Mon, 27 Apr 1998 02:58:18 +0100 (BST)
From: Mike <mike@oakley.keble.ox.ac.uk>

On Fri, 24 Apr 1998, Paul Miller wrote:

> I'm using kernel 2.0.32 with the Vortex 3c59x.c:v0.99 4/7/98 by Donald
> Becker Linux driver. The only other patches are ipportfw and
> cyrix-support-2.

I had one person who had horrible network performance, and the culprit
was thought to be TCP, so I worked with this person for a few weeks
straight analyzing his network topology and analyzing megabytes of
tcpdump output from connections to various places.

Suddenly one day, all his performance problems went away. I asked him
to try and figure out what changes were made to the kernel between
that last 2.1.9x he tried and the one he was trying now where the bugs
had disappeared.

Turns out he was in "the habit" of just plucking the latest Becker
3c59x driver into the 2.1.x source tree, but this time he _forgot_ to
do it.

So I urge people to do their testing with the drivers which are in the
2.1.9x tree when they see problems, if this is a possibility. It is
much easier to track down bugs if you haven't added other pieces of
code and patches to the vanilla sources.

Later,
David S. Miller
davem@dm.cobaltmicro.com