Re: patch for 2.1.92: cleanup of disk statistics code

Kelly French (targon@hazmat.com)
Tue, 7 Apr 1998 17:15:53 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 3 Apr 1998, Marcel J.E. Mol wrote:

> Hi Linus,
>
> One more try. This patch does some cleanup on disk statistics.
> All it does is removing a hardcoded number in the code that
> collects disk io count stats. The hardcoded number is replaced
> by the DK_NDRIVE definition as it should be in the first place.
> This causes changes in drivers/block/ll_rw_blk.c and fs/proc/array.c.
> It also cleans up around the __SMP__ code get_kstat().

I'd rather use http://hazmat.com/~targon/linux/blockstatarray-2.1.86.gz or
http://hazmat.com/~targon/blockstatdirect-2.1.86.gz.

The first one dynamically creates an array to hold the data instead of a
fixed DK_NDRIVE size array. The second one is faster in that it allocates
a larger array at startup. They both also fix the scsi/ide overlap along
with putting all the other block devices (floppy, loop, md, etc) back in
the list.

Mark Lord likes the 2nd one, I like the first.

-KF