Re: Some ideas for the kernel wishlist

Andi Kleen (ak@muc.de)
07 Apr 1998 20:10:55 +0200

Martin Mares <mj@atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz> writes:

> Hi,
>
> > But then there must be a sysctl to obtain the currently selected
> > value. So far, the libc has to guess and uses a constant value.
>
> Well, I don't understand why does libc need to know HZ. If there exist such
> places, it seems as an kernel <-> user interface inconsistency to me and it
> probably should be changed to some more portable format.

libc needs to know it to tell it to the user when he asks using the POSIX
sysconf() function. The user needs it to e.g. get a idea about the timer
resolution or the scheduler ticks. Current glibc returns the HZ value
of the kernel include files during compile time, but that is not acceptable
because the user might recompile his kernel with different HZ values.

-Andi