(Fwd) Re: foreign fs security features (was Re: NCPFS overhaul

Etienne Lorrain (lorrain@fb.sony.de)
Tue, 7 Apr 1998 15:32:55 +0001

> Andrej Presern <andrejp@luz.fe.uni-lj.si> wrote:
> > The solution: you implement a object oriented capability model (pure,
> > not POSIX capabilities), then rebuild a UNIX (or any other) filesystem
> > on top of that if you still need it.
>
> If each process has a different view, you look at
> /proc/1234/fs/usr/local/src/linux to get process 1234's view.

Hi,

I am not a FS developper, but one solution I would like
could be (for this problem and others) :

mount a (default) filesystem on for instance /
be able to mount another (prioritary) filesystem on /

When a software try to open a file, it looks first on
the "prioritary" filesystem - and if not there on the
"default" one.

Then it would be possible to install a complete distribution
on a partition or a CD - safe boot system - and do whatever
patch on the "prioritary" filesystem, upgrading whatever package...

Sure it will loose performance, and I am not sure it
is a good solution of mounting different filesystem
on a user basis (to solve the "subject" problem), but
it can be done if users are on different machine.

Just my $0.02,
Etienne.