Re: "make menuconfig" is dangerously broken...

Regis Duchesne (hpreg@celine.via.ecp.fr)
06 Apr 1998 21:11:49 +0200

> I am inclined to say that "make menuconfig" should be wrapped
> with a BIG warning that it is unsafe with certain input scripts.
> An example of such input is: drivers/block/Config.in
AFAIK, make config (pure bash) is safer than make menuconfig which is
safer than xconfig.

Anyway, it is really a pain that each time a description file such as
drivers/block/Config.in is slightly modified, at least one of these 3
implementation breaks.

A project to fix all this and make something compatible but more
robust has already be set up. It is called the New Linux kernel
configurator project, and has a majordomo mailing list at
linux-config@via.ecp.fr .

Anyway, the goal of this project is to integrate the new stuff in
_2.3_ development kernels. Not before.

For the moment, we can just fix things the best as we can. I haven't
looked at the file you mention, could you be more accurate about what
is wrong or unsafe with it and menuconfig?

Regards,

--
Regis "HPReg" Duchesne - Engineering Student at ***** ******** *****
        www              http://www.via.ecp.fr/~regis/