Re: Kernel videocard support YES or NO?

Geert Uytterhoeven (Geert.Uytterhoeven@cs.kuleuven.ac.be)
Tue, 31 Mar 1998 20:36:56 +0200 (CEST)

On Mon, 30 Mar 1998, Harald Koenig wrote:
> On Mar 29, Vojtech Pavlik wrote:
> > * There is already fbcon for other (non-PC) architectures.
>
> don't know very less about `other architectures' except a bit
> on DEC AXP. and here X11 works fine right now and AFAIK
> fbcon is no real problem running XFree86 (is it? don't know
> too much here...)

On machines with VGA text mode, `fbcon' uses `vgacon'[*], a VGA text (80x25)
mode driver on top of the abstract console driver. Since the user space
abstraction doesn't change, X keeps on working like it did before.

On machines with frame buffer devices, we have XF68_FBDev.

Greetings,

Geert

[*] Now you all see why the system shouldn't be called `fbcon', but `abstract
console driver'. There are drivers for frame buffer devices (fbcon), VGA
text (vgacon) and TI TMS340x0 boards (gspcon).

--
Geert Uytterhoeven                     Geert.Uytterhoeven@cs.kuleuven.ac.be