Re: I/O completion ports for Linux

Alex Belits (abelits@phobos.illtel.denver.co.us)
Tue, 31 Mar 1998 17:01:58 -0800 (PST)

On Tue, 31 Mar 1998, Theodore Y. Ts'o wrote:

> This is very welcome indeed. Just two days ago, I was talking
> to a fellow attendee at the Internet Engineering Task Force (the
> standards body for the Internet). This fellow is from.... ah.... a very
> large vendor which sells web browsers for Unix and NT. He was talking
> to me specifically about the possibility of adding I/O completion ports
> to Linux. The problem is that the poll() interface simply doesn't scale to
> 30,000+ connections. As a result, none of the Unix ports of his
> company's product is able to complete with the NT port of his product,
> and he considered this to be a Bad Thing.

While I/O completion ports may be useful, I can't imagine 30000
simultaneous TCP connections to the single process, or even to the single
host doing something. And with all my respect to browsers manufacturers,
poll() problem with that will hardly qualify as "scalability", more like
fd table size limit. And of course, a browser definitely can't cause such
thing to happen, more like server, but still something beyond imaginable
size.

--
Alex

P.S. How does NT handle that?