Re: WLinux, kinda [OFFTOPIC] comment

Joseph Malicki (jmalicki@geocities.com)
Sat, 28 Mar 1998 19:56:30 -0500

Marek Habersack wrote:

> On Sat, 28 Mar 1998, Joseph Malicki wrote:
>
> > The WLinux already (kind of) exists- its called GNU-Win32 by Cygnus Solutions -
> > http://www.cygnus.com/misc/gnu-win32/
> > It is a GPL'd, fully POSIX compliant version of GNU tools that runs under 95
> > and NT, including bash, gcc, etc. Just about any UNIX program should compile
> > under it, though it is still in beta. It did result in the first
> What's that to do with Linux? The GNU tools aren't any OS-centered, they also
> exist on DOS, OS/2 and all Unices out there. And you don't say that OpenDOS
> with the full suite of GNU tools is an DOSLinux ;)

No, but I'm saying that with GNU-Win32, there isn't a whole lot of need for
WLinux......and it is completely compatible after a recompile.

> > implementation of Kerberos under NT, for instance. It's probably not worth
> > the time to develop WLinux when this is available, even though it doesn't
> > run linux binaries. But a linux binary loader in conjunction with gnu-win32
> > would work nicely.......
> No, it wouldn't work at all. What's the binary loader for when you don't have
> the OS that the binary's been compiled for? You'd need a Linux emulator for
> windowz to run it. The GNU tools have nothing to do with it.

You don't need a full emulator....... The main thing GNU-Win32 provides is a DLL that
turns POSIX calls into Win32 calls.... my point was use a binary loader that uses
that DLL for most of the calls, and a syscall emulator that could also call their DLL
(I think its like Cygwin.DLL or something like that). It would cut out a LOT of the
work required for a Linux emulator, since only a binary loader and syscall-trapper
would be needed.

Joe Malicki