Re: TCP socket timeout problem.

Erik Corry (erik@arbat.com)
Mon, 30 Mar 1998 01:14:52 +0200 (MEST)

In article <Pine.LNX.3.96.980329215758.1450A-100000@atmosphere.smidsrod.no> you wrote:
> I've configured a ISDN dialup system, which automatically dials out when
> there is some activity through the interface.

> But the problem is when the link goes down for some reason, there are some
> stale network sockets lying around in some (CLOSING) state. How can I tell
> the kernel to kill these sockets WHEN the interface hangs up? They way it is
> right now, the stale sockets makes the interface redial almost immediately
> after it has hanged up.

The quick and easy(ish) solution is to get
the 2.0.34pre4 patches from ftp.uk.linux.org
and activate the RST-provoking mode documented in
/usr/src/linux/Documentation/networking/ip_dynaddr.txt of
that version.

If you do this you will still get one redial, but not
several like you are getting now. If you want to stop
that one redial, you can start getting clever with ipfwadm
commands in /etc/ppp/ip-down and ip-up.

--
Erik Corry erik@arbat.com