Re: GGI and cli/sti in X

MenTaLboY (mentalboy@geocities.com)
Sun, 5 Apr 1998 18:42:50 -0400 (EDT)

On Sun, 5 Apr 1998, Riley Williams wrote:
> >> Myself I think it shouldn't be possible to make the system
> >> unusable just by killing a process. Even if you have to be root
> >> for that.
>
> > Major bug in Linux! 'kill -9 1' as root makes my system unusable!
>
> Can I report that 'dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda bs=1k count=1k' stops
> my system from booting, which is an even more serious bug in my
> opinion...

Both of the latter cases don't happen without explicit (albeit silly)
intervention from root. I've run into a few instances where X has hung the
system to the point where none of the interrupts seem to be responding, even
on the serial port. It could be that it died for some reason while cli'd; I
really don't know.

In any case, if we are going to rely on a trusted server process for
graphics, I'm thinking it should probably be a lot smaller, simpler, and
easier to debug than X. X is just too big to rely on for all graphics use.
Maybe the overhead is worth it when you're using apps that actually use a
substantial set of X's features (GUI applications, mostly), but for full
screen games and other programs like that, the overhead incurred by all the
X code and features not used kind of seems wasteful to me... that's not to
say such a minimalist server would replace X, but that X would rely on it
for graphics, like other graphics applications would.

-=MenTaLboY=-