Re: SUMMARY: GGI/X : the other way??

Peter-Paul Witta (paul@ping.at)
Sun, 5 Apr 1998 20:15:41 +0200 (CEST)

On Sun, 5 Apr 1998, Raul Miller wrote:

> linux-kernel is the wrong list for this. Then again, there doesn't seem
> to be a correct list (X lists and GGI lists would also consider this
> outside of scope).

i know :-(

> > *) X should be as fast as SVGALib using DGA, shouldn't it? DGA is
> > AFAIK full screen with accelerated bitmap access.
>
> I don't know about DGA.

it should be faster as mitshm... i don't know more about it either, but i
came across some quake binary that used it. it was fullscreen and very
fast.
> > *) games CAN use GLX (3D) or DGA for fast access.
> Games under X should be using mitshm for fast access (or is this
> what you mean by DGA)?
>
> > *) most people do even play doom, quake, or other high performance
> > games windowed using local X.
> No.
i'd say yes.
> Either they play the games unwindowed, or they play them using local X.
i said "windowed on local x"... network support is not needed for those
games...
> > *) local X is somewhat not as fast as it could be
> This is mostly an issue of card support, as I understand it. There's
> plenty of room for improvement here.

yeah.

> > *) X is userspace stuff
> Which means it can be fast.
...or not.

> > *) console-switching is not completely handled in kernel space
> Yes, but this statement is almost content-free.
crashes can occur, when an console app locks up.
> > *) GGI takes over handling. KGI does cosnole switching, GGI does
> > accelearation in userspace(??).
> Sortof.
> > *) GGI would perform as fast as X with DGA(??)
> Currently, X is faster than GGI.
currently, yes.
> > *) GGI would be like X with DGA and console switching completely done
> > by the kernel.
> No.
sorry, i meant xggi.
> GGI would be like SVGALIB, except GGI programs could run under X as well
> as on the console. Then again, presumably you could write an SVGALIB
> which would let programs run under X as well?

as ggi does?
> > *) AFAIK fbcon is like X with console switching done by the kernel?
> No.
>
> For example, fbcon doesn't deal with mouse issues (focus, ...). fbcon is
> Fa mechanism for stuffing pixels onto the screen.

yes. but with x it does also make console switching in the kernel, doens't
it?
> > *) GGI would require the linux team to get accelerated graphics
> > drivers. now the X team handles this. does the linux team have enough
> > manpower to over-take this work as well???
> Actually, this would probably be the GGI team, since the drivers would
> still be in user space.

:-)
> There's a lot of graphic talent on the GGI team, I wonder what would
> happen if they started hacking on X.

:-)

kind regards, http://stud2.tuwien.ac.at/~e9525748/
Peter-Paul Witta mailto:e9525748@student.tuwien.ac.at FIDO 2:310/22.264
SAMBA SUPPORT - FAX SOLUTIONS - INTRANET / EXTRANET - DBMS SQL SOLUTIONS