Re: GGI Project Unhappy On Linux

Marek Habersack (grendel@vip.maestro.com.pl)
Sat, 28 Mar 1998 10:48:13 +0100 (CET)

On Fri, 27 Mar 1998, Richard B. Johnson wrote:

> [SNIPPED]
> > applies to WinModems and perhaps other hardware. I doubt anyone except
> > Micro$oft will implement their GUI API on their architectures.
> >

> When Hewlett Packard(tm) actually sunk so low as to design and sell a
> "printer", that is not a PRINTER at all, but an electromechanical
> extension of the "Windows(r)" Operating System, I knew the end was near.
Yes, that was sad...

> It is only a matter of time before there will be no more PC/AT Clones.
> We are now approaching the time where future "computers" will be
> electomechanical extensions of the "Windows(r)" Operating System.
>
> Money is power. Whether or not "Windows(r)" is a defective Operating
> System makes no difference at all. Mr Gates. has defined the new era
> of "computers" to be extensions of his (defective) operating systems(s)
> and that-is-that. Mr. Gates has a larger legal department than
> General Motors (last years INC rag).
I don't buy it! What sense software like Linux will make then?! None at all!
Do you agree to that? Do you think PEOPLE are such a small power that they
cannot defeat a monster like Micro$loth? There are really millions of people
using unices (and other non-M$ OSes) out there that do not and will not use
Windows just because Billy G. tells them to and his marketing department has
fooled even the biggest sharks of the market. Perhaps Windows will rule, but
only on the Intel platoform and I suppose that professionals and people that
CARE about computers, that want use and create good software will migrate to
some other hardware platform (like Alphas, which are really affordable these
days and they will get even cheaper IMHO). Even Billy G. isn't omnipotent, nor
is his company.

> Note that there are even "Gates" extensions encorporated into new
> hardware chip-sets and even new BIOSs announce "Locating the boot-
> loader..." when they start to boot. Eventually, if the boot-loader
> isn't "Windows(r)", the machine will not boot (period).
Yeah, the world shows sometimes symptoms of the return of Dark Ages, but I do
believe in common sense!

> This is not a conspiracy. This is simply the future being planned
> by PC Hardware manufacturers with the open involvement of Mr. Gates.
Remember that PC is NOT only Intel platforms.

later, marek

---
"Little prigs and three-quarter madmen may have the conceit that the
laws of nature are constantly broken for their sakes."
                                               Friedrich Nietzsche