Re: WLinux, kinda [OFFTOPIC] comment

Marek Habersack (grendel@vip.maestro.com.pl)
Sat, 28 Mar 1998 15:23:06 +0100 (CET)

On Sat, 28 Mar 1998, Ragnar Hojland Espinosa wrote:

> > Create a configuration and distribution of Linux that will run 'under'
> > Win95 and WinNT using virtual device stubs to access native device
>
> Sounds like a decent idea but.. Have you taken into account the fact that
Sounds like a horrible idea! Why don't you just write a linux emulator for
windoze?

> when windows crashes (heh) so will WLinux? Besides, call me paranoid if
> you want, but if you give problems to Gates be sure he'll find a way to
> either buy it or make it useless with some new feature that is needed
> for windows to work and that renders WLinux unoperative.
Good point ;-)

> Let's face it, if all keeps going the way it's going now, we'll soon see
> how microsoft really dominates the pc scene both in the software and
> hardware layer, and as stated in linux-kernel before, linux users will
> have to use sucky win98 stuff, use alternative (and prolly low
> performance) hardware or move to some other architecture.
The latter is the most probable scenario, imho.

> Just because windows has such a big share of the OS market, in who do you
> think manufacturers will focus? Joe Winloser, or Joe Linuxer? With who do
> you feel they will make more money?
And that's why Linux should compete Windows and not follow its standards -
does the Linux community hasn't enough power to stand against micro$oft?
Especially that we are not alone - there are also other PC OSes that are MUCH
better than winblowz.

> Of course, it might result in people buying more, say, alphas, and the
> price of those alphas going doooown even more so the price/performance
And why not to make such a transition if it saves you from using crappy
software and hardware? Sentiment?