Re: Follow-up to SB16 ASP problem... also insight into crash on boot (2.1.91)

Trever Adams (arabian@onramp.net)
Tue, 31 Mar 1998 22:25:31 +0000

BlueFlux wrote:

> I had those problems too some while ago, however i recognised that the
> problem was conflicting IRQ's between the
> linux/drivers/net/ewrks3.c(etherworks 202,203,205? cards) and
> the soundblaster driver. I think i did an rather crude fix to this by just
> changing IRQ on the ethernet device which i dont use anyways. I'm sending
> another post regarding that ethernet card and its IRQ/io adress if you or
> anyone else is interested in reading it=).

Well, I gave it a shot. Disabling the printer port or moving the sound card
(SB16 ASP) to IRQ 5 didn't do a thing. Well, it may have made it slightly
less frequent. But the error messages still come. (Note I used smaller
files from a game instead this time so that may be what caused it to be less
frequent this time.) Is it possible that the -12 or what not nice level on
kswapd (though I am not swapping at all) is what is causing it?

While looking back at old configs 2.1.86 and 2.0.33 are IRQ 5 already.
2.1.88 (which did sound well) and 2.1.91 are IRQ 7 (or were, I am recompiling
88 right now. I am running in a fixed .91 right now). It seems this is a
kernel problem after all.

Trever Adams