Re: crashes with no log messages

Jon Lewis (jlewis@inorganic5.fdt.net)
Fri, 27 Mar 1998 23:31:42 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 27 Mar 1998, Gustin Kiffney wrote:

> mention this, because as Alan Cox pointed out Linux has a fundamental
> bug in that if the computer loses its connection to a working power
> supply it will crash with no logs. More than that, if there's a
> brownout, or an EMF pulse, this can happen too. If you DON'T have your
> system on a UPS, and your system crashes this way there's really no
> point in posting.

Even stranger, during a recent storm, our office (I'm assuming)
experienced multiple brownouts and surges. My house was without power for
nearly a hour, but I have a large UPS and was able to monitor the office
from home. I assumed the office lost power because one of my systems
there went down. The next morning, I found that several windows boxes not
on UPS's had not rebooted...only 2 test systems on an overloaded UPS had
rebooted. The moral you ask? Just because other systems didn't reboot
doesn't mean your system didn't reboot due to power fluctuations and a bad
UPS.