Re: GGI and cli/sti in X

Linus Torvalds (torvalds@transmeta.com)
27 Mar 1998 20:07:45 GMT

In article <19980327143347.53007@Elf.mj.gts.cz>,
Pavel Machek <pavel@elf.ucw.cz> wrote:

>Do this for me: Limit your mem to 16Meg, make your machine swap a
>bit. Now switch consoles from/into X and do it fast. Be creative and
>you'll see complete freeze or at least complete mess-up of video.

May I suggest you consider the fact that you may have a buggy video card
that freezes the bus when it gets overloaded? At which point the whole
system is dead - not the kernel, but the _hardware_ is dead and needs a
reboot.

Yes, it has happened a lot, although it is getting rarer. It used to
happen even more back when we had that wonderful VLB thing that is
finally not really an issue any more.

And btw, GGI wouldn't help at _all_.

Linus