Re: Linux and DSL Support?

Dax Kelson (dkelson@inconnect.com)
Sat, 4 Apr 1998 15:44:23 -0700 (MST)

> From: Erik Andersen <andersee@debian.org>
> To: linux-kernel <linux-kernel@vger.rutgers.edu>
> Subject: Linux and DSL Support?
>
> My phone company is about to begin offering ADSL (Asymmetric Digital
> Subscriber Line) service. For about $40 US a month it will provide
> me with a 24-7 connection to the net at 256 Kbps. (Drool, Drool).
> Anyway, to use this new service though will require that I plug in
> an ADSL Modem Adapter (such as http://www.netspeed.com/pcirunner.html).
> Does anybody know anything about DSL, what it would take for Linux to
> support it? Some techinal docs are available at http://www.adsl.com/

The PCIRunner will be supported in Linux if Netspeed provides technical
docs, and someone writes a driver.

I would just get the SpeedRunner 204. Either use the supplied ethernet
cross-over cable to connect it directly to your supported Linux ethernet
card, or plug it (the SpeedRunner 204) into a hub, and then your network
card into the hub.

Dax Kelson
Internet Connect, Inc.