Re: linux-2.1.90 PATCH: kmod hangs in initial ramdisk

Bjoern Kriews (bkr@cut.de)
Fri, 27 Mar 1998 16:01:54 +0100

Matthias Urlichs wrote:
> Anyway, I'd just forget all the kmod stuff from within /linuxrc. /linuxrc
> is a special environment. Why don't you just call modprobe directly, for
> the modules which you'll need until you can switch to the real root?

I use a pretty small kernel (floppy is a module) and load initrd from
a scsi disk (scsi driver is a module too).

Paul:
Since 2.1.91 tries to determine the disk size for multi-disk loads
the ramdisk load from HD fails.
I added a check to the loader in rd.c:

if(devblocks == 0) devblocks = nblocks+1;

to circumvent this problem.

Matthias:
My linuxrc runs into "insmod(2.1.71) scsi_mod" and then stops.
I do not understand much about kmod but I don't see why a simple
insmod should trigger kmod ? Can you give me a hint ?

> Here's a stopgap patch to make kmod+initrd work until this problem is
I'll try tonight and investigate further.

Thanks & regards, Bjoern