Re: Mach syscalls on Linux/Alpha.

Linus Torvalds (torvalds@transmeta.com)
Thu, 2 Apr 1998 10:41:34 -0800 (PST)

On Thu, 2 Apr 1998, Oleg Gusev wrote:

> the Acrobat Reader for DU4.0 uses pthreads, which use syscalls
> with negative numbers, i.e. nxm_task_init #-33:

Duh. I've never seen one of those before, but I guess it had to happen
eventually.

> While "normal" OSF syscalls lie between 0<num<256 and are more
> or less implemented, what about these "negative" ones ?
> Are they somewhere documented ? Or maybe it would be easier
> instead to compile linuxthreads in ECOFF ?

I don't know how well they are documented, but with Mach sources lying
around it shouldn't be impossible to find out what -33 does. We could
probably try to implement even the Mach system calls, but I have to agree
with you that maybe it would be a good idea to just try to avoid using the
DU native threads implementation. That may or may not be possible (even
with shared libraries any library-exposed datastructures etc global
knowledge can make it fairly hard to make linuxthreads be binary
compatible with the DU pthreads).

Does anybody know more about Mach system calls or the DU threading model?

Linus