Re: GGI Project Unhappy On Linux

Marek Habersack (grendel@vip.maestro.com.pl)
Sat, 28 Mar 1998 01:43:07 +0100 (CET)

On Fri, 27 Mar 1998, Andreas Kostyrka wrote:

> On Fri, 27 Mar 1998, Marek Habersack wrote:
>
> > The current X uses a server wrapper to do the suid root tasks. The server
> > itself isn't suid root.
> The problem is not suid, but root. It doesn't matter how it came so, the
> important fact is the UID of the program.
> And try runnning the X server without wrapper and suid bit from a normal
> user -> The X server will abort, as it can't get the IO privs it needs
> to do it's dirty work :(
True. I've just got an XFree86 exploit that gives everyone the root privileges
(it's too big to attach it here - please mail me if anyone wants it) - it's
only a binary, I'm waiting for the actual code.

later, marek

---
Democracy is a government where you can say what you think even if you
don't think.