Re: Horrible delivery delay or is just me ?

James Mastros (root@jennifer-unix.dyn.ml.org)
Fri, 3 Apr 1998 18:43:35 -0500 (EST)

On Sat, 4 Apr 1998, Matti Aarnio wrote:
> Apparently Entropy overloaded when I added .com and .org to
> its .edu repertoire. Oh well, machines I use at FUNET for
> VGER fanouts are not big monsters, in fact fanouting is their
> secondary role, yet for them that fanout generated load is
> peanuts... Thus it must be matter of software that I use vs.
> what Entropy uses.

For me, at least, the problem seems to be that whereas funet uses ZMailer,
entropy uses VMailer. The problem with that is that Sendmail and ZMailer
implement ETERN, but VMailer does not. My mailserver is a desktop box
connected via a semi-perminante (IE - should always be connected, but
linenoize, reboots, and ISP troubles disconnect me on ocasion) PPP
conection, so I etern all the hosts that I regularly recive mail from upon
establishing a connection. The lack of eterns caused mail that was sent
when I was offline to wait for the next resend to get to me, which could be
a couple of days.

-=- James Mastros