Re: Beta Testers required to test generic i386 graphics framebuffer device

Geert Uytterhoeven (Geert.Uytterhoeven@cs.kuleuven.ac.be)
Fri, 3 Apr 1998 14:02:42 +0200 (CEST)

On Thu, 2 Apr 1998, Ian Collier wrote:
> Non-Intel hackers
>
> Some architectures already have frame buffer devices, and this one
> is probably completely incompatible with them (so far I haven't seen
> any docs for those devices). Are there any simple changes which could
> be made to the interface to make it a bit more similar?

Do you support multiple resolutions, or do you just use the mode the BIOS has
thrown you in? In the latter case, it's very simple to write a frame buffer
device for it. Just look at drivers/video/{tga,of}fb.c (2.1.x) for an example.
In the former case, things get a bit more complex, but still not that
difficult.

We have support for a text console on 16 bpp packed pixels.

> X hackers
>
> Having an X server to work on this driver would be a big help.

Once you have a frame buffer device, the XF68_FBDev X server should
automagically works. The only caveat here is that we still have problems with
16 and 32 bpp; 8 bpp is fine. Once these are sorted out (a colormap problem:
all colors are wrong), it will work fine.

Greetings,

Geert

--
Geert Uytterhoeven                     Geert.Uytterhoeven@cs.kuleuven.ac.be