Re: PPro for a PII in make config

Aaron M. Ucko (amu@mit.edu)
03 Apr 1998 01:32:19 -0500

jrl@curricula.net (Lluisma) writes:

> I have a PII processor with Red Hat Linux 5.0. When I tried
> compiling the kernel source that came with the distribution
> (2.0.32), I didn't see a PII option for the processor when I did a
> make config. I tried downloading a copy 2.0.33 but again I didn't
> see any. If I select PPro for the PII would it matter? Will it
> affect the performance of my machine?

Those options mostly just affect optimization. (The only
compatibility issue is that kernels not compiled for "386" will use
instructions added in the '486 and will not run on 386s and old
clones.) Selecting "PPro" would probably give you the best
performance.

--
Aaron M. Ucko, KB1CJC <amu@mit.edu> (finger amu@monk.mit.edu)