Re: 2.1.92, the woes continue

Bob_Tracy (rct@gherkin.sa.wlk.com)
Thu, 2 Apr 1998 23:01:53 -0600 (CST)

George Bonser wrote:

> While compiling 2.1.92 (running 2.1.92) with the 16MB machine fairly
> loaded up (under 2MB of free RAM when compile started), I get:
>
> (...)
> cpp: output pipe has been closed
> gcc: Internal compiler error: program cc1 got fatal signal 6
> make[3]: *** [ide.o] Error 1

I've been seeing system freezes and spontaneous reboots while compiling
kernels since folks started messing around with the vm code (2.1.89?).
Sometimes I get "lucky" and the compiler merely dies on a signal 11,
and still other times gcc dies on a signal 4. 64 MB RAM, Cyrix 6x86L
P200+ (150 MHz), Buslogic SCSI controller. Sometimes this happens
while X is running, but most of the time I'm accessing the machine
remotely over a network connection. On a couple of occasions, the
compiler died because the input files "didn't make any sense". Upon
further examination, the contents of the files were garbage but every-
thing was fine after forcing a reboot and running fsck on the involved
filesystems (no errors found): sure smacks of corrupted cache to me.

Hardware *can* suddenly go bad, but...

For what it's worth, I'm currently up and running on 2.1.92 with the
"spam syslog" code disabled per a patch posted to this list.

--
Bob Tracy               |  "They couldn't hit an elephant at this dist- "
Firewall Security Corp. |   - Last words of Union General John Sedgwick,