Re: Lost keypresses [was Re: GGI and cli/sti in X]

Harald Koenig (koenig@tat.physik.uni-tuebingen.de)
Wed, 1 Apr 1998 11:09:35 +0200

On Mar 29, Pavel Machek wrote:

> > there is nothing the kernel can do about lost keypresses or anything
> > else.
>
> Lost keypressess are definitely linux's design problem: As long as
> X handle switch-out requests itself, it is going to be there.
>
> Keys you press after Ctrl-Alt-F1 and before X realizes it needs
> console switch are lost by design. I'm currently solving it by making
> Alt-FX work even in raw mode (then race goes away.)
>
> Q: Is making second set of keys (Ctrl-Alt-F1..F12) marked as 'console
> switch even in raw mode' acceptable?
>
> Also, until X use medium raw mode & kernel is modified, shift state
> will be lost accross console switches. I'm thinking of forcing X into
> medium raw, but it is hard...
>
> Q: Do you think we can force X not to use full raw mode?

IIRC, one argument against that was not to trap Alt-Fn in X so that
X applications can use those key sequences.

what if the kernel would only trap Ctrl-Alt-Fn in that mode,
but not Alt-Fn? any other problems you could think of ?

I've forwarded your mail to XFree86 developers to get more comments...

Harald

--
All SCSI disks will from now on                     ___       _____
be required to send an email notice                0--,|    /OOOOOOO\