Re: We're crashing too - 2.0.33 w/ 2.0.34pre2 patches

ralf@uni-koblenz.de
Wed, 1 Apr 1998 10:29:16 +0200

On Tue, Mar 31, 1998 at 07:31:59PM -0500, Donald Ball wrote:

> > Well the first set you have .. which is the machine config. Was it otherwise
> > stable with a previous kernel and if so what version ?
>
> It was previously almost completely stable with fully patched redhat 4.2
> distribution, almost completely identical kernel configuration options (I
> can post old config if it would help). There were frequent SCSI abort
> errors with the DPT controller and a couple immediately after the OS
> upgrade before I'd compiled the new kernel, none since. (btw, which set of
> DPT drivers is better?)

The problems with the SCSI abort when related to some dumbness of the
midlevel SCSI code which has been mostly fixed. The problem is that the
old SCSI code was pretty overwhelmed with hostadapters that are as
intelligent as DTP's.

Michael Neuffer <neuffer@mail.uni-mainz.de> (EATA_DMA driver) and especially
Eric Youngdale did the code overhaul of the SCSI midlevel system; you may
want to contact them.

Ralf