Re: ide modules in 2.1.91

Gadi Oxman (gadio@netvision.net.il)
Tue, 31 Mar 1998 11:07:58 +0300 (IST)

On 29 Mar 1998, Andreas Muck wrote:

> Hello
>
> My hadr drives are all SCSI, but I still have an old IDE-CDROM in my
> box. So I compiled all the IDE support as modules to save some
> memory. I don't know if I did something wrong, or the dependencies are
> not quite what they should be, but autoloading the ide-cd module
> doesn't work as it should IMHO.
>
> I added this to /etc/conf.modules:
>
> alias block-major-3 ide-disk
> alias block-major-22 ide-cd
>
> Couldn't test ide-disk, as I don't have and IDE drives anymore, but
> ide-cd fails to load if ide-probe is not loaded first. I got around
> this by loading ide-probe in the bootup scripts (which autoloads
> ide-mod too) and now it works fine. I'm just wondering what's the
> right way to do it automatically. ide-cd would autoload ide-mod, but
> fail to initialise if ide-probe was not loaded.

The various IDE modules do not depend on ide-probe, which allows us
to load the probe module, probe the devices, and remove the module
afterwards, when the devices are actually in use.

This has the side effect that we will need kmod for a fully automatic
IDE module loading setup. When kmod is used, the above aliases should
work (the IDE driver requests the probe module if a sub-driver is loaded
and we haven't found any IDE interface yet).

Alternatively, when using kmod with the default "alias block-major-[3,22,...]
ide-probe" setup, the IDE driver will use the media type to request the
appropriate sub-driver (ide-cd, etc) on the first access to /dev/hdx.

If kmod is not used, adding:

modprobe ide-probe
(and an optional rmmod ide-probe)

to the startup scripts will work as well.

> /lib/modules/2.1.91/block/ide-proc.o: couldn't find the kernel version
> the module was compiled for

ide-proc.o is not a stand-alone module yet (it is linked into ide-mod.o).

Gadi