Re: WLinux -> Subverting Windows by making Linux available to MS users

Joseph Malicki (jmalicki@geocities.com)
Mon, 30 Mar 1998 19:55:34 -0500

Dan Taylor wrote:

> Uh, guys? This sounds like it would be beat done through
> improving dosEMU so that it provides a _pure_ ix86 virtual
> machine with no "fluff" such as built-in mouse or EMM drivers.
> (Or with such "fluff" optional anyway)
>
> Admittedly these drivers can be useful, but they are generally
> what keeps Windows 95 or 3.11 from running. If you provide
> a pure VM then you have Windows in a nice, tight box from
> which you can *safely run 16 or 32 bit MicroSoft Apps.
>
> Why does this seem obvious to noone else?
> Of course this may have been beaten to death on the dosemu list,
> but I have all the mail I can read here already.
>
> Daniel Taylor

Because you CANNOT provide a PURE VM unless you emulate opcodes, which is a
real pain in the ass. Intel CPU's are not fully virtualizable, and there is
NO way to safely run 32-bit Windows under linux without emulation. The EMM is
by far the best way to go, otherwise no 32-bit apps would be able to run AT
ALL.

Joe Malicki