Re: GGI Project Unhappy On Linux

David Wragg (dpw@doc.ic.ac.uk)
Mon, 30 Mar 1998 22:28:15 +0100

Marek Habersack <grendel@vip.maestro.com.pl> writes:
> On Wed, 25 Mar 1998, Albert D. Cahalan wrote:
> > Marek Habersack writes:
> >
> > [not this again!]
> I'm sorry - but is the bracketed note above about my humble person?

> > > I'm not crying about that...
> >
> > You will be, because of the "Windows 98" video cards that don't
> > have standard text mode support. I'm serious about that. The free
> > text console is going to be gone in a few years. Then what?
> > Would you like to see boot messages?
> No. I won't buy shitty cards designed for Windows 98. Just the same
> as I won't buy a GUI printer or WinModem. You will? They you'll be
> sorry.

I can't see what is wrong with video cards that don't support text
mode. Of course it should be possible to emulate a text console, if
only for boot messages, but if the hardware can efficiently support
that, I don't care whether there is a hardware text mode.

WinModems are a different matter. The manufacturers do not release
specifications from which drivers could be written, and the design of
the hardware implies a lot of work for the main CPU. Both of these
things are black marks against any device, especially the first one
because it makes the development of drivers virtually impossible. A
text-mode-less video card does not necessarily imply either of these
things.

fbcon seems to gives us a framework in which to support a text console
on cards without a text mode, so what is the big deal here?

--
Dave Wragg