Re: All packages upgraded, but now PPP ... :(

Linux Lists (lists@cyclades.com)
Thu, 26 Mar 1998 16:22:43 -0800 (PST)

On Thu, 26 Mar 1998, Alan Cox wrote:

> > For kernel 2.1.90, it seems that all the data, instead of going thru the
> > PPP links, is going thru the loopback interface !!!
>
> Isnt this really neat, its optimised your routing for you. Actually Im amazed
> you ever conned 2.0.x into sending traffic to itself via a pp port.

Well, it saves phone lines ... ;)

Plus you can simulate heavy traffic (with the Cyclades-Z, I did already 32
ports doing FTP thru PPP at the same time) with just one machine!!

That's a nice "feature" and I'd like to have it back ... :)

Oh (I almost forgot), after all, if I put the loopback interface down, the
packets don't go thru the PPP interfaces, therefore I don't think it's an
optimization ...

Any other clues ???

Regards,
Ivan Passos