Re: kmod patch

Shaw Carruthers (shaw@shawc.demon.co.uk)
Thu, 26 Mar 1998 22:34:56 +0000 (GMT)

On Thu, 26 Mar 1998, Greg Zornetzer wrote:

> Hmmm - screwups in modprobe - I was having some of these, while I was
> testing kmod - then I remembered to upgrade my modutils to 2.1.85, and the
> problem with modprobe crashing the kernel seemed to stop. There are a
> couple of places where I simply copy the pointers to strings instead of
> bothering to strcpy them, but I that shouldn't be a problem. Which module
> was it inserting at the time?

This is not reproducible as I have rebooted twice since with no oops. I
have had five other oopses though, all different( but I think either when
a module was being loaded or unloaded, either floppy or ppp). So maybe
something not initialised or a bad pointer, or maybe even some other
problem with 2.1.90.

The case I posted to you was slip being loaded by diald as I have;

Mar 26 17:48:44 shawc diald[163]: Diald is dieing with code 1

I am using modutils 2.1.85

If I get something reproducible I'll post again.

--
Shaw Carruthers - shaw@shawc.demon.co.uk
London SW14 7JW UK