Re: Netscape & 2.1.91pre2

Jan Lindheim (lindheim@cacr.caltech.edu)
26 Mar 1998 21:51:44 GMT

In article <linux.kernel.351A22C4.86808BC0@ix.netcom.com>,
Michael Remski <mremski@ix.netcom.com> writes:
> Hi all.
> I have not had any problems with Netscape Communicator 4.04 under
> 2.1.91pre2, but went back to using 2.1.90-pre2 this morning. Basic
> RH5.0 with all glibc updates and all security related ones, compiler is
> pgcc-1.01, next to latest release of binutils(-23 version) and other
> recommended versions for 2.1.x. All SCSI system, no IDE at all, generic
> Intel Pentium 166, single processor.
> I've tried 2.1.90 (release) and 2.1.91-pre1/2, but all got into
> extremely odd swapping behaviour. 2.1.91-pre2 was definitely the
> worst. Machine stays up 24/7 and this morning was swapping continuously
> (noone using it, just was X-locked), actually had to press the hardware
> reset, no keyboard response at all.
> So, I went back to 2.1.90-pre2. Didn't go back to 2.1.89 because I
> think kmod is working at least as well as kerneld; it takes more in
> modules.conf, but seems more lightweight overall.
> I look at the kernel-list a few times a day, and noticed lots about the
> vm system and swapping. I understand and agree with trying to improve
> it, but it seems like something drastic changed for the worse after
> 2.1.90-pre2.
>
> hope this helps.
>
> mike

I just experienced the same. I booted 2.1.91pre2 this morning and
after about 3 hours, the machine got into a swapping frenzy.
I waited for about half an hour before hitting the reset button.
During reboot, fsck would never finish checking my 2 GB partition
on a SCSI drive. I gave up after 10 minutes and rebooted 2.1.89
without problems. I never experienced this behaviour with 2.1.91pre1.

I'm also using RedHat 5.0 with the latest updates, including glibc 2.0.7.
My machine is a dual PPro 200.