Re: Why Greased TCPpenguin?

David S. Miller (davem@dm.cobaltmicro.com)
Thu, 26 Mar 1998 13:24:53 -0800

From: ramune@zarathustra.calstatela.edu
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 1998 09:50:08 -0800 (PST)

I usually use lynx to go and look up stuff on the web all the time,
and from sites, I get these checksum errors. My transfer rates
drop to about 70> bps and the checksum errors fill up my logs.

I can almost always find a site or two that does this to my system.
Are there any test that I can do to help anyone here track down te
cause of this annoying thing?

I've been seeing this for a while, but I don't know what kernel
version it started from for me. I'm running 2.1.90 right now.

If you can find a site/connection combo which reproduces it reliably,
sniff those specific connections with tcpdump, if I can look at this I
can figure out some pattern and try to track down the bug.

Note I said "sniff those specific connections", please always give
some filtering options to tcpdump such as "host foo and port 80",
lately a lot of people have send me tcpdumps full of "other noise"
such as ARP requests etc. which make the logs more difficult to study.

Thanks.

Later,
David S. Miller
davem@dm.cobaltmicro.com