Re: GGI Project Unhappy On Linux

Pierre Etchemaite (petchema@concept-micro.com)
Sat, 28 Mar 1998 15:15:20 +0100 (MET)

On 27-Mar-98, 12:55:26, Andreas Kostyrka wrote:
> Nope. I've reproducable SYSTEM crashes when I zap (C-M-BackSpace) out of
> XF86_S3V 3.3.1 -> The system is dead, no rebooting via the network.
> Another thing that I've with XF86_S3, but this happens only one discless
> 486 (and not on it's twin, that *FUNNY*), that switching to textmode
> leaves a messed up text console.

"Me too". I had random solid box freezes with S3 Virge cards, and reverted to my
previous (S3 Trio 64V+) card after a lot of tests. I saw this on a friend's box
too (Mystique card).

I read in some newsgroup that it was a know problem with some S3V + bus master
EIDE controllers (sorry, can't find any URL right now), and that's the kind of
problem the GGI is supposed to solve (couldn't make the 0.0.9 release to work
on my box, but that must be my fault. It looked rather clean otherwise.)

Btw, svgalib apps can often leave the console unusable. Agreed, Linux doesn't
crash, but that's rather annoying. People usually don't see the difference
either.

I don't know if GGI is 'the future' for Linux graphics support, but if
something can help solving all those problems, I vote for it.

---
Tired of (your) money and marketing driven computing ?
Support open standards, and use Linux now! http://www.linux.org
Homepage http://www.insat.com/~arnoud/petchemaite/