Re: GGI Project Unhappy On Linux

Chris Evans (chris@ferret.lmh.ox.ac.uk)
Sat, 28 Mar 1998 13:24:55 +0000 (GMT)

On Sat, 28 Mar 1998, Alex Priem wrote:

> > There is a solution.
> > Put the bare essentials into the kernel so that
> > Xservers can be written which don't crash systems.
>
> Yup. Instead of crashing Xservers, now you have crashing kernels.
> Big improvement.

Alex,

Please don't be so damn ignorant on the topic. Go do some background
reading. "The basics" the previous poster was talking about includes mode
switching. With this in the kernel, we are set to be able to recover
console textmode if/when X dies. The general design principle of having
processes clean up for themselves is broken. Currently, X is responsible
for "cleaning up" back to the original state of textmode.

To use an analogy: if a process crashes before it has time to clean up its
memory allocations and exit, we don't leak memory do we??? No, the kernel
is well aware of the shortcomings of userland processes and hence can
clean up after they go tits up. This principle needs extending to graphics
card state.

Chris