Re: variable fd array patch for 2.1.90

Bill Hawes (whawes@star.net)
Fri, 27 Mar 1998 08:32:54 -0500

Savochkin Andrey Vladimirovich wrote:

> If I understand you right now a process can have either 32 allocated
> fd entries or 1024 ones. Is it reasonable to implement increasing
> the array to 256 entries at first and
> later to the full size if needs?

It would be relatively easy to expand the fd array in increments -- the code
would just need to free the prior array after copying. My first plan was to just
double the array at each step.

But based on a message posted here a while back, it appears that although very
few tasks use more than 30 or so fds, those that do need more typically require
many hundreds. So it seemed better to just expand to the max in one step.

Regards,
Bill