Re: GGI Project Unhappy On Linux

Marek Habersack (grendel@vip.maestro.com.pl)
Sat, 28 Mar 1998 03:23:14 +0100 (CET)

On Sat, 28 Mar 1998, Richard Gooch wrote:

> > > cheap 3rd party hardware. Sun look like they're finally ditching SBus
> > > (yay!) and have gone to PCI for the Ultra 5 and newer machines.
> >
> > Right. But even PCI video boards on the Ultra 5 must be supported through Open
> > Firmware. And guess what, Open Firmware uses a graphical console, not text
> > mode.
>
> Yep. If the M$ market moves to graphics-only video cards, Linux users
> will be forced to do the same. People who say they won't buy "crappy
> win98 hardware" are going to find their choices limited.
Why do you think that M$ will ever dictate the trends? That will only happen
if everybody says "OK, Billy - you lead, we'll follow". For the third time I
repeat that by "winXX hardware" I don't mean those devices that have a
"Windows XX Compatible" label, but those "Designed for Windows 98" - with
windoze caps implemented in their circuits. You want a world like this? Then
creation of any standard will fail if Micro$oft won't accept it. You won't be
able to create software much better than windoze - since the HARDWARE will be
using windows GUI/whatever code in its circuits you will HAVE to write
Windows-compatible software as well, but what sense would it make?

later, marek

---
"Little prigs and three-quarter madmen may have the conceit that the
laws of nature are constantly broken for their sakes."
                                               Friedrich Nietzsche