Re: Merced, PC98, Slot 1/2, and other NDA architectures...under Linux?

ketil@infotek.no
27 Mar 1998 14:47:47 +0100

Perry Harrington <pedward@sun4.apsoft.com> writes:

> I run Linux, Linux us all that matters AFA OSes go, to me. If the major
> computer companies can afford to license and develop for these closed
> architectures, and MS Windows is the only real thing that matters in the
> "business"[1] world, is Linux going to run on these architectures, or are
> the manufacturers going to have to open the architectures?

My $0.02 is that I don't much care. If Intel and their cronies decide
to close their architecture, Linux as a server OS is worth enough to me,
that I'll go out and buy an Alpha or Sparc box when the PPro is getting
old and gray.

Prices aren't what they used to be, and both Digital and Sun have very
competitive hardware.

~kzm