Re: boot from zip drive?

Brian Gerst (bgerst@quark.vpplus.com)
Fri, 27 Mar 1998 14:00:19 +0000

Bryn Paul Arnold Jones wrote:
> Ok, first only if it's a SCSI zip drive, and then only directly if your
> SCSI card will let you boot from ID 5 or 6 (I seem to rember those are
> the options of ID the zip drive allows).
>
> The only other way is to use a disk to start a loader (either on a floppy,
> or a harddisk). Actually a dos floppy with loadlin and a kernel image on
> is proberbly a good way ;).

I'm sure an ATAPI zip drive could be booted too, if your BIOS lets you
boot from other than c: (like mine, a Tyan Tomcat motherboard).

My SCSI Zip (internal) can go on any SCSI id, not just 5 or 6. Not sure
about the external SCSI zip or Zip Plus in SCSI mode. Unfortunately my
SCSI card doesn't have a bootable BIOS (adaptec 2910).

--

Brian Gerst