Re: GGI Project Unhappy On Linux

Andreas Fredriksson (kernel@abel.trekab.se)
Fri, 27 Mar 1998 10:05:03 +0100 (CET)

On Thu, 26 Mar 1998, Larry McVoy wrote:

> I don't need KGI. I'm running X on everything from $5 garage sale Trident
> ISA cards to 8MB #9 PCI cards and in th 4+ years that I've been running
> it on Linux, it's never crashed. Not once.

I second that. The one thing which can happen is the X server flipping out
due to bad configuration, but the machine can still be rebooted with the
magic-threesome or through a rlogin session. Not a crash, more like a
program malfunction. Once configured I wonder what you have to do to make
X _crash_? With the new configuration utilities, these things happen
_very_ rarely.

> Please don't misunderstand me. I have no feelings about KGI one way or
> the other. But I do know that /I/ don't need it. And I suspect that
> the vast majority of Linux users feel the same way.

Exactly. Most X users run a window manager, a few applications (xjed,
netscape, xterm, gimp etc.) and never do anything else with X. What would
these people need GGI for? Nothing.

/ Andreas