Re: GGI Project Unhappy On Linux

Marek Habersack (grendel@vip.maestro.com.pl)
Fri, 27 Mar 1998 00:40:46 +0100 (CET)

On Thu, 26 Mar 1998, Gerd Knorr wrote:

> >> b) VESA is a DOS-only thing and WE (i.e. THEM) don't need it.
>
> >On most cards, VESA is provided by a DOS TSR. Do you really
> >want to put DOSEMU in the kernel?
>
> My S3 Virge _BIOS_ has VESA 2.0 Support. VESA 2.0 has Protected Mode
And so do most of the modern cards.

> support (for dos extenders). If they designed it right, it should be
> possible to use it from within linux too, much like APM. Someone
> remembers the QNX demo floppy? They to graphics exactly that way.
> Worked fine on my box. Without DOS.
True, I remember that one. The VESA VBE 2/3 is designed with the portability
in mind - the code can be written in a way that it can be used by the userland
software with a MINIMUM kernel support. And that's good, isn't it?

> Well, you don't get accel support that way, but it is still much better
> than being not able to use the card at all.
You do now. The VBE/AF interface is a clearly defined API that can be used as
easily as the VBE Core stuff.

----
...and a devil in a black tress watches over
my guardian angel walks away...
Life is shorten, love is always over in the morning
Black wind come carry me far away!