Re: GGI Project Unhappy On Linux

Martin Imrisek (modulus@interlog.com)
Thu, 26 Mar 1998 09:17:53 +0000 ( )

On Wed, 25 Mar 1998, Albert D. Cahalan wrote:

[snip]

> > And, if time permits, I'll try to start a project of my own that
> > implements a simple and efficient interface - just the elements
> > we need, nothing else.
>
> That is what GGI does. If you simplify it any more, you have to open
> up huge security holes or restrict yourself to dumb framebuffer access.
>
> > Is graphics all that counts in the world? Linux wins on all the
> > other fields - speed, security, efficiency, hardware support,
>
> **groan**
>
> We have an X server that disables interrupts. That should make
> you scream. (hints: user-space, swapping, SMP...)

Ouch. Could this be the cause of lockups that seem to appear only under
X? Once in a while, in X, when the swap is being hit hard and CPU usage
is high, I get a total system lockup, all I can do is reset the machine.
This is on a dual P5.
I can never reproduce this when not in X. Unfortunately I never get
anything in the syslog related to the lockup. The lockups themselves
persist through 2.1.6*-2.1.89