Re: 2.1.91pre2 death by swapping.

Luca Lizzeri (ll@niche.it)
Thu, 26 Mar 1998 12:49:11 +0100

On Thu, Mar 26, 1998 at 03:45:44AM -0500, Myrdraal wrote:
> Hi,
> Well, shortly after I wrote my previous message, 2.1.91pre2 died a nasty
> death. This system has 64mb RAM and was lightly loaded, the main thing
> it was doing was playing a MOD. It started to swap out of the blue, the
> mod started skipping more and more, and eventually stopped playing
> entiredly while the machine thrashed. It continued thrashing for 10-15
> minutes, every program totally stopped while this was happening. Using
> the magic sysrq show memory option, I could see that the free pages
> number was fluctuating between 10200 and 10250 or so. Eventually I rebooted
> back to 2.1.90 with the magic sysrq.

It happened to me, while untar-ing a big file (egcs), repeatably.

Repeated pressing of sysrq-p showed the kernel alternating beetwen adresses
in shrink_mmap, swap_out and sys_idle. Something changed involving these
functions between pre1 and pre2, particularly in mm/vmscan.c and fs/buffer.c.
Beyond that I cannot tell, I'll leave it to the mm Uber-Hackers.

Cheers,
Luca