Re: The GGI and EvStack debate

Trever Adams (arabian@onramp.net)
Thu, 26 Mar 1998 02:31:12 -0600

> Trever Adams wrote:
> >
> >It seems Linus (though I respect him, think he is intelligent, I don't
> >believe he is infallible! No one is!) doesn't like the EvStack due to
> >the ideas of multiple keyboards.

I just proved my own comment. Heck, I couldn't even type read
correctly.

> I don't like EvStack because I don't see the point. We can already
> support multiple keyboards and multiple displays, and we don't need
> EvStack to do so.

*snip*

> And quite frankly, when we're talking about mice and keyboards that send
> a few hundred events a second at the most, I can't but wonder about
> people who think performance is a big issue.
>
> Linus

My mistake. Again I prove I am quite fallible. I was under the
impression that Linux currently could not support multiple input devices
and arbitrarily assign them to certain consoles (meaning if you are
using one machine with multiple users on it, that those other users
couldn't commandeer your session). If such is the case I can't see the
need for EvStack unless the current use is ultra messy and slow. Then
again, if it is messy/slow to that point, could the code simply be
cleaned up instead of reimplimented (rhetorical question)?

Again, thank you for your time Linus. I don't expect a reply,
especially where I obviously need to spend more time in the source code
of what is currently available. Hopefully summer break from college
will bring me some spare time to do just that.

Trever
Trever Adams
arabian@onramp.net
http://rampages.onramp.net/~arabian/silent.htm