Re: kmod fix & rc.S

Greg Zornetzer (gaz@andrew.cmu.edu)
Sun, 15 Mar 1998 13:18:37 -0500 (EST)

On Sun, 15 Mar 1998, Shaw Carruthers wrote:

> Thanks for this. It works for me loading lp & slip, but I then got an
> oops, probably for the reasons others have outlined.
>
> I had to change the code to have kmod on by default otherwise my system
> wouldn't start.
>
> The problem is that I have Slackware style startup scripts and kmod must
> be active before I fsck and mount any filesystems. At this point proc is
> not mounted so I have to have kmod active by default. Should this be a
> config option?
When I made that change, I was just being ultra-paranoid. As long as we
can be certain that kmod will fail gracefully (which it should) if
/sbin/modprobe doesn't exist, then I don't really see a problem with
setting modprobe_path="" initially, and changing it to /sbin/modprobe in
kmod_init
> --
> Shaw Carruthers - shaw@shawc.demon.co.uk
> London SW14 7JW UK
> This is not a sig( with homage to Magritte).

Greg Zornetzer - gaz+@andrew.cmu.edu
"Light shines brightest in the darkest night"
http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~gaz