Re: Possible hardware failure? Cryptic kernel messages...

George Bonser (grep@oriole.sbay.org)
Sat, 14 Mar 1998 10:55:14 -0800 (PST)

On Sat, 14 Mar 1998, Eric Skaug wrote:

> I need help. The other day a friend accidently kicked my hard drive (don't ask how), and it seems to be acting up. Here's the problem: every time I try to encrypt an mp3 from a .wav file, I get this series of error messages:
> ide0: reset: success
> hda: status error: status=0x00 { }
> end_request: I/O error, dev 03:03, sector 967566
> hda: drive not ready for command
> hda: status error: status=0x00 { }

FWIW, I am also seeing a TON of these since I installed one of those new
large IDE drives that is supposed to do either DMA33 or EIDE. It is a 4G
Maxtor and seems to run fine for several days and then suddenly starts
doing the above.

Debian-2.0 with 2.0.33

System appears to hang sometimes as well. I can ping it, some daemons in
RAM are running but I can not log in from the network. It is a remote
server and I have no access to the machine to check the console messages.

I have tried moving it from first drive on second IDE (shared with CDROM)
to second drive on first IDE (shared with 400MB Maxtor) but no help. I am
ready to yank that server back to the house until I get this nailed down.
It seems to want to die on weekends.

George Bonser
Just be thankful that Microsoft does not manufacture pharmaceuticals.
http://www.debian.org